Kerr Street Ministries (KSM) provides relief for the present and gives hope for the future to Oakville’s most vulnerable citizens. As a charitable Christian organization we acknowledge that every person is created in the image of God and has inherent value and dignity. With the assistance of many community partners, KSM offers a number of programs to support children, youth, and low income families. In all that we do, we strive to reflect Christ’s love through integrity, transparency, responsiveness, education and compassion.
Title: School Age Team Support
Hours: 37.5 per week, flexible hours
Salary: TBD based on experience
Reports To: Child & Family Coordinator
Purpose and Scope:
To provide operational leadership and support to all aspects of children’s programming including but not limited to school age programs, summer camp, family meals. The position is responsible for recruitment, intake and development of high quality programming while ensuring all guideline and regulations are met and/or exceeded. This person needs to be a strong team member with all staff and volunteers.
The role has several key responsibilities:
• Program Intake: Intake and maintain positive communication with all potential and current children, families and/or volunteers. Built strong relationships with families and parents.
• Program Planning and Delivery: Demonstrate respect, compassion and act as a positive role model while planning, leading and supervising high quality program for children that challenge and encourage them to learn, grow and build Developmental Assets. Built relationships with community partners and work in collaboration with staff and volunteers.
• Program Accountability: Create, maintain and track all program manuals, handbooks, policies and procedure, information and statistics and ensure they meet all current policies, procedures, program guidelines, regulations and risk management are in line with best practices.
• Staff/Volunteers: Recruit, train, lead and guide all supporting program staff and volunteers while promoting a collaborative and cohesive team.
All Kerr Street Mission team members and volunteers work collaboratively to:
• Promote and build awareness of Kerr Street Mission and its programs
• Ensure the highest quality program for our community: set outcomes, maintain compliance and quality.
• Actively participate in developing, evaluating and monitoring program.
• Maintain the confidentiality of all Kerr Street Mission information.
• Operate within the culture, philosophy and values of Kerr Street Mission
• Complete other duties as assigned
This role is suitable for a dynamic and confident person with a combination of relevant education and experience working with families and children who is able to motivate and command their respect and has demonstrated success creating, developing, implementing and leading programming to a diverse group of individuals.
Candidates must demonstrate flexibility in hours (Monday-Friday) along with the following skills and characteristics:
Essential skills to have:
• Police screening clearance with vulnerable sector check and two references is a must for this position
• Relevant education and in good standing as an Early Childhood Educator (ECE), or Ontario College of Teachers (OCT), or Educational Assistant (EA).
• Standard First Aid & CPR certification
• Experience/education working directly with children and families either in voluntary or paid capacity
• Experience/education supporting, developing, implementing and leading programming and supervising staff and volunteers.
• Ability to motivate, lead and command respect of a group
• Ability to listen to others and help them reflect on their own thoughts and feelings
• Energy and enthusiasm to serve as a role model for a diverse group of individuals
• Highly motivated individual with collaborative approach to work with proven problem-solving skill especially when under pressure
• Persistence and flexibility to thrive in a fluid and demanding environment
• Strong ability to organize, adhere to timelines, communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Beneficial to have:
• Class G Driver’s License and access to vehicle
• Quality First, Developmental Assets, High Five & Safe Food Handling training
We also look for all employees to show the following characteristics:
• Faith – building: Fully aligned with the message and mission of Kerr Street Mission.
• Trust – building: Works hard to build trust with people and demonstrates commitment to relationship building.
• Responsibility: taking: Takes responsibility for actions and attitudes. Claims and solves problems and looks outward for solutions.
• Understanding and Empathy: Works to understand others – their strengths, fears and needs. Ready to stand up for differences
All employees must comply with the Mission, Vision and Core Values of Kerr Street Ministries.